We love it when BIG JOY is shown in University or organizational settings. To help fuel your process we’ve added some resources and suggestions below. And please feel free to tell us in the comment section what type of presentation or event you are working on. You might fuel other’s ideas too.
STEPS FOR UNIVERSITIES
- Buy the BIG JOY Package (this grants you the rights to play the film for an audience of 100 or less in perpetuity). Kino Lorber has all the detail on this and other packages here.
- Peruse our resources below. (We have lots for FREE.)
- Consider inviting our filmmakers to give a talk. See details below.
- Check out our extended event suggestions if you’d like to make it bigger and broader than just showing the BIG JOY the film. We’ve got some creative ideas for you. See details below.
- If you’d like to know what others are saying about our film in University settings, check out our Testimonials section below.
Yes, I’m ready to show Big Joy in my classroom! But I’ve got a couple of questions.
Also please note, for those doing in depth research, Kent State holds James Broughton’s archive which includes his journals, correspondence, photographs, doodles and more.
INVITE THE FILMMAKERS
Stephen Silha: Executive Producer, Co-Director and friend of James Broughton
Possible presentation topics include: James Broughton in Queer history; Moving from journalism to documentary filmmaking; James Broughton’s poetry translated to film; Following your own Weird.
Email Stephen now .
Eric Slade: Co-Director & Producer.
Possible presentation topics include: Archival Research, Overview of the Process of Creating a Feature Documentary, Documentary Film Distribution Models and Approaches, Documentary and Gay Liberation (Overview of best gay liberation docs and their role in the movement), and Specifics on any of the parts of filmmaking: research & development; interviewing; directing & visual style; music & sound; graphics & animation; editing; finishing; sound design and color correction.
Email Eric now .
MULTI- DAY EVENT IDEAS
Here’s some of our ideas for hosting several day events. Most of these are ones we’ve done ourselves. You can mix or match depending on your audience or interest.
- Day 1: Show Big Joy
- Day 2: Exploring Broughton’s poetry
- Day 3: Exploring Broughton’s films (The compilation DVD is available in our store. One good line-up is: Four In The Afternoon (15 min), The Pleasure Garden (38 min), The Bed (20 min), The Water Circle (3 min), Scattered Remains (14 min). On our Themes page (link) we’ve also got specific Broughton works that resonate with particular Big Joy themes listed there.
- Other: Add or sub a Meet the Filmmakers talk in place of one of these or as another event.
- Other: Hold a dance. We’ve got two albums of Big Joy DJ Music to get you going. You could even encourage “Follow Your Own Weird” costuming.
- Other: Invite local artists whose work is resonant to read, show, talk or teach on their creative process.
- Other: Big Joy Salon. That’s what we call it. Basically it includes people chatting, eating, drinking, and randomly reading poetry aloud—Broughton’s or others. See our formula.